A commercial aviation and travel blog.

Philippine Airlines to Launch New Airline: Cambodia Airlines

Philippines-airlines-logo Phillipine Airlines announced today that it plans to launch a brand new airline with help from a private investor. The airline, along with Cambodian businessman Kith Meng, will launch Cambodia Airlines later this year. Phillipine Airlines will own 49% of the new carrier while Meng will own the remaining 51%. This new airline has great opportunity to be succesful as it will be launched into a region that is dominated by small regional carriers, mostly from other countries. Its only Cambodia based competition will be the government owned Cambodia Angkor Air with its almost irrelevant fleet of 5 Airbus a321's and 2 ATR 72's. The asian airline industry has experienced tremendous growth over the last decade. Airlines like AirAsia and Lion Air have grown from small operations to hugely succesful companies in just a short period of time. At the same time, the region where Cambodia Airlines operations will be focused is one of the least developed in terms of aviation infrastructure. The airports have limited terminal facilities and are very outdated. Improvements to the airports are necessary for new airlines to actually be able to succeed. Neither Phillipine Airlines nor Kith Meng announced many specific details about the new airline, only that domestic flights are planned to commence this June with international hauls beginning in October. No word on specific destinations, which aircraft will be utilized, or interline agreements. My guess is that these will be announced soon if the airline plans on filling planes for this June. Cambodia's largest airport is Phnom Penh International (PNH/VDPP) and will most likely serve as the enw airlines main hub/focus city. The airport is home to most major Asian Flag Carrier airlines as well as a few LCC's. These include Asiana, China Airlines, Korean Air, and a few others. The airport also sees long haul service to Doha on behalf of Qatar Airways. Check back here for updates on the new airline as they are released.

No Comments Yet

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

About Kyle

I am a recent college graduate with a degree in Aviation Management. I spend my time as an airline industry professional, private pilot, blogger and world traveler. I have visited 36 countries to date and don't plan on slowing down. This blog is my way of sharing the latest developments in the airline industry as well as experiences from my world travels. All views and opinions are strictly my own.

Follow me on Twitter

Subscribe via Email

Enter your email address to receive notifications of new posts by email.

Join 83 other subscribers

Follow

Get every new post on this blog delivered to your Inbox.

Join other followers: